I wrote in a post yesterday that I did a clean install of DSL 4.4.10 on a little old hard drive I found in my desk — and noted I’d use it “at least for a while.” That was short.
Later yesterday I decided to try something with an older version of Knoppix installed as-Debian. After removing a ton of shite with dpkg and seeing how fucked up binary packaging can get (e. g., removing stuff you don’t want can lead to indiscriminate loss of things you might want to keep), I capitulated and started rm’ing everything in sight. I got it down to a manageable level and updated a few things. Then I figured, once again and when weighing what else was left to update, it really is easier to start small and build up.
There’s nothing better for that than BSD. So I installed NetBSD 4.01 this afternoon.
The rest of my work on it will be headless via SSH/PuTTY. I’m skipping pkgsrc while updating and installing stuff. This will be used primarily, as I wrote about what I was going to do with DSL on it, for hosting stuff fetched elsewhere (e. g., podcasts, mashup stuff, etc.) and testing some stuff before it gets deployed at work.
Since this is BSD-oriented, the rest of the story will (might) unfold on my BSD blog (linked on the side).
I’ll have a post about DSL and its future on this blog in coming days, and I’ll link up my new blog when I post some stuff about my Aspire One on it.