crunchbang update: jwm, aterm, acpi/wifi issues, and office software

Just had a little time to mess with #! while I grabbed a bite. I installed aterm, terminus (the X fonts weren’t installed in the base but the console fonts were), dillo, and jwm. Edited a quick jwmrc and had to add an entry in /usr/share/xsessions for it so I can choose it from gdm.


Why jwm? I got a look at the menu for openbox with the number of tags it uses for each entry — just too much. I mentioned in comments previously that jwm is much lighter and yet has the basic pieces (panel/tray, etc.). Plus I can set it up so things open without borders or title bars, etc. It just suits me better. No idea yet when I’ll install ratpoison or even if this means I’ll make more space by removing openbox, tint2, etc. Who knows.

I  unplugged to see if the power manager applet would pop up like it’s supposed to. For some reason, it doesn’t do anything until I cat for battery state. Similarly, there’s a delay with nm-applet looking for my SSID when I boot or resume from suspend. Sometimes it doesn’t seem to start until I do iwconfig. Coincidence? I don’t know but it’s okay for now.

Speaking of wifi, I noticed in dmesg that NetworkManager isn’t associating first to my AP but to another one without encryption. I thought the whole point of setting it up is so it would scan for what you have listed first. Not sure what to make of that. I need to see if I can blacklist any other router so it won’t inadvertently try to connect. It shouldn’t be promiscuous by default like that — it should scan for approved APs first and, if so desired (I don’t), connect to “any.” I’ll look into that more this weekend.

(Edit: Here’s the relevant part of dmesg showing the wrong initial association to another AP.

wlan0: authenticate with AP xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:78
wlan0: authenticated
wlan0: associate with AP xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:78
wlan0: RX AssocResp from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:78 (capab=0x401 status=0 aid=3)
wlan0: associated
wlan0: disassociating by local choice (reason=3)
wlan0: direct probe to AP xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx try 1
wlan0 direct probe responded
wlan0: authenticate with AP xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
wlan0: authenticated
wlan0: associate with AP xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
wlan0: RX AssocResp from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (capab=0x431 status=0 aid=1)

The wrong AP’s MAC ends with 78,  mine is the second set which are all Xs. It shouldn’t matter that my SSID is hidden and the much weaker signal isn’t encrypted. It should only associate with the AP which I’ve configured.)

Other than that, the few messages I’m getting about wlan0 appear to be normal and don’t look like the ones I had while running Fedora 10.

Finally, I was going to see if I could work on a couple spreadsheets in gnumeric before committing to installing instead. As I suspected, a lot of things broke when I opened in gnumeric. Now I’m looking at what all comes with the OOo package and wondering why the hell I keep doing this to myself. Guess what, pulseaudio is one of the dependencies. So are all kinds of fonts I’ll never use. Great. Just fucking great. I may hold off making any changes and only work on things from Windows until either I decide what I’m going to do in October or see if IBM will get the OOo-3.x-based version of Lotus Symphony (my favorite office suite; too bad the current version is based on OOo 1.x and not yet compatible with my OOo 3.x spreadsheets) out this year.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: