Update 20090724-1811 – ion3 minor reconfiguration (part 1)

I’ve taken the easiest way to getting back normal use of the function keys by assigning ALTMETA to Mod4 (Windows key) so that the default bindings for the function keys are now Mod4+F{1..12}. This will work at least temporarily but I think I want to change out the standard META (Mod1) so I don’t have to use the escape key in emacs for various M-commands (e. g., C-u M-! will not work as is — C-u ESC ! works).

Other than that, I’ve spent most of the day off the computer (for a change). The only other thing I’ve done is edit a simple grey theme using the simpleblue one as a guide.

-- look_shadesofgrey.lua - featuring terminus font and shades of grey
-- Fri Jul 24 15:15:56 CDT 2009
-- lucky13

if not gr.select_engine("de") then return end

de.reset()

de.defstyle("*", {
    shadow_colour = "black",
    highlight_colour = "grey5",
    background_colour = "grey22",
    foreground_colour = "grey88",
    padding_pixels = 0,
    highlight_pixels = 0,
    shadow_pixels = 0,
    border_style = "elevated",
    font = "-xos4-terminus-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*",
    text_align = "center",
})

de.defstyle("frame", {
    shadow_colour = "black",
    highlight_colour = "grey5",
    padding_colour = "black",
    background_colour = "grey22",
    foreground_colour = "grey88",
    padding_pixels = 0,
    highlight_pixels = 0,
    shadow_pixels = 0,
    de.substyle("active", {
        shadow_colour = "black",
        highlight_colour = "grey5",
        background_colour = "black",
        foreground_colour = "grey88",
    }),
})

de.defstyle("tab", {
    font = "-xos4-terminus-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*",
    de.substyle("active-selected", {
        shadow_colour = "grey53",
        highlight_colour = "black",
        background_colour = "grey13",
        foreground_colour = "grey77",
    }),
    de.substyle("active-unselected", {
        shadow_colour = "black",
        highlight_colour = "black",
        background_colour = "grey22",
        foreground_colour = "grey55",
    }),
    de.substyle("inactive-selected", {
        shadow_colour = "black",
        highlight_colour = "black",
        background_colour = "grey44",
        foreground_colour = "grey22",
    }),
    de.substyle("inactive-unselected", {
        shadow_colour = "black",
        highlight_colour = "black",
        background_colour = "grey22",
        foreground_colour = "grey44",
    }),
    text_align = "center",
})

de.defstyle("input", {
    shadow_colour = "black",
    highlight_colour = "black",
    background_colour = "grey44",
    foreground_colour = "white",
    padding_pixels = 0,
    highlight_pixels = 0,
    shadow_pixels = 0,
    border_style = "elevated",
    de.substyle("*-cursor", {
        background_colour = "white",
        foreground_colour = "grey44",
    }),
    de.substyle("*-selection", {
        background_colour = "black",
        foreground_colour = "white",
    }),
})

de.defstyle("input-menu", {
    padding_pixels=0,
})

dopath("lookcommon_clean")

gr.refresh()

It’s not fancy, but there’s not much you can do with something that doesn’t have “eye candy” as a criterion for development or consider aesthetics a feature (“wobbling windows” is not a feature — it’s a fucking bug which uses too many system resources and offers zero benefits). I only put something together a little bit darker than I found available among the defaults. I didn’t tweak the input style but it looks a bit lighter than intended on my AA1.

So far ion3 fits two criteria I had in mind. First, it has to be light on resources. The “if it’s not used it’s wasted” argument doesn’t work for me because greater resource demands come at the expense of power consumption; that’s an issue on anything that runs on batteries, but especially something with the limitations of a netbook battery.

screenshot-20090724180705

Second, it has to be configurable and stay out of my way as much as possible. I’m pretty sure it’ll be configurable enough for what I want (see previous entry). It certainly stays out of the way by automatically assigning window size to the size of the current frame. Since I quickly got the basic issue of the function keys out of the way quickly, I can look to add more of my own tweaks and preferences.

More soon.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: