MicroCore on AA1

I’ll have a much longer entry to post from within emacs when I’m good and ready, but I’ve installed MicroCore 2.2 on my AA1. I really should’ve done this a long time ago and never fucked around with all the bloatware I’ve tried on this because no matter how much I’ve wanted drama-free “everything just works” stuff, it’s been anything but that. I still have my now pseudo-crunchbang/un-buntu stuff on here, and I’m not sure if I’ll leave it or clear my / partition for a persistent /opt or whatever (too big for that). At least if/until I wipe everything and install Windows 7 towards the end of October. Same f’ing ath5k driver, so I’m sure I’ll have the same f’ing ath5k problems I always have. Please prove me wrong.

A few cool things:

  • Boot time was so friggin’ fast that I literally turned for a second to get something to drink after hitting enter in my GRUB menu and had a prompt waiting for me when I looked back at the AA1’s screen. Good job, curaga and anyone else who deserves credit.
  • Even after setting up wireless and running elinks, I don’t think I ever went over 100MB of RAM in use.
  • No X! That means you don’t get screenshots unless I find/compile something that does console grabs.

As I wrote above, I’ll have another entry shortly (hopefully) with more details, more detailed impressions, why I’m using MicroCore instead of TinyCore, and what I’m going to do with it.

Advertisements

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: