Posts Tagged ‘bcm’

Various Updates and Thoughts

February 26, 2008

A few quick updates…

I updated my BSD blog this weekend. I learned DragonFlyBSD has and OpenBSD will have bwi, a BSD-native Broadcom wirecutter-like module. So I’m at least going to test it out on my laptop and see how well it works. I’m most likely transitioning back to FreeBSD or OpenBSD (maybe DragonFlyBSD), but I’ll continue to do a few things with Damn Small Linux so I’ll keep a few partitions available for that.

I downloaded Damn Small Solaris, which infringes on at least two trademarks so I’m striking it out. Why can’t people come up with unique names if they’re going to copy everything else another project is doing? Same apps, roughly same size, and then taking their name as well. I guess some people just lack the ideas and originality to innovate or differentiate at all. Damn Small Linux is trademarked. So is Solaris — maybe someone should’ve noticed Sun’s clear notice about use of their trademarks, which has led to OpenSolaris projects with very unique names like Nexenta and Belenix. Sun has a legal team. I hope John of DSL does, too.

Back to my laptop. I’ve been running KDE 3.5.8 on it the past week. I need to compare the configuration used by VectorLinux to what I’m using on my desktop because it’s not using as much RAM as I feared it would (an issue with the laptop since it’s “challenged”). I prefer KDE to Xfce. I’m using less RAM when KDE loads than when Xfce loaded. Even with my choice of apps, I’m using less RAM with KDE.

Needless to say, though, RAM use with KDE is about triple after login what JWM requires. I wish there was a way to get KDE’s (start up) RAM use to about 100-120MB. I would use it all the time.

One thing I like better about Debian compared to Vector/Slackware is the application packaging. Debian’s repositories aren’t just more prolific, Debian allows a bit more flexibility with respect to meta-packaging. For example, I wanted a specific K application. With slapt-get, I had to take it as part of a larger package with stuff I didn’t want; Debian had it by itself.

I spent some time working on stripping down and updating things in Knoppix to see how small I could make it. I can get it comfortably under 100MB, but I’m leaving in a few things that wouldn’t come with DSL (no, not KDE!). I may get to work on it again later this week. I have the things I want to work working already. The rest is fluff.